Car Care Tips From Xpress Lube
After visiting the Selinsgrove Xpress Lube, there are several things you can do to help ensure that your car continues to run at its peak performance during all seasons.
Click on any category below to learn more...
- General Tips
Keep your car running smoothly and trouble-free with these helpful car care tips and hints.
- Keep your tires inflated at the correct pressure. Under inflation causes tire wear and wastes fuel.
- Do not carry unneeded weight in your vehicle. Excess weight puts a heavier load on the engine, causing greater fuel consumption.
- Accelerate slowly and smoothly. Avoid jackrabbit starts. Get into a higher gear as quickly as possible.
- Avoid long engine idling. If you have to wait for a long period of time, it is better to turn off the engine and start again later.
- Avoid engine lag or over-revving. Use a gear position suitable for the type of road you're travelling.
- Avoid stop-and-go driving. Stop-and-go driving wastes fuel.
- Do not rest your foot on the clutch or brake pedal. This causes needless wear, overheating and poor fuel economy.
- Keep all wheels in proper alignment. Improper alignment not only causes faster tire wear but also puts an extra load on the engine.
- Keep your vehicle tuned up and in top shape.
- Getting more miles from a liter or gallon of fuel is actually easy. Just take it easy while driving. It will also make your vehicle last longer.
- Take to the shade rather than keep the air conditioner running.
- It is a good idea to do a safety check before starting out on a trip. A visit to the Selinsgrove Xpress Lube can help ensure safe and pleasant driving.
- Energy Saving Tips
We all want to save energy, and we can by following these simple car care tips and helpful hints.
- After starting the engine, it is best to drive immediately. Idling can cause pollution and excessive fuel consumption.
- Depress the accelerator gently to drive away and change to a higher gear in time.
- Do not approach traffic lights at full speed. If it is clear that you will have to stop, begin slowing down well in advance.
- Driving at high speed (over 50 mph and especially over 60 mph) uses more fuel and causes more pollution.
- Avoid drag. Where possible keep all windows closed and ensure that the doors, bonnet (hood), and boot (trunk) are securely fastened.
- To drive economically, you need to maintain a sufficient distance between your car and the vehicle ahead. This way there is less need to react suddenly, and you can brake and accelerate more smoothly.
- On bends, reduce speed in time and accelerate smoothly when you are halfway through a bend. Late, heavy braking before a bend followed by rapid acceleration leads to excessive fuel consumption.
- If you watch the roads ahead and anticipate any likely problems, your driving style will become smoother and better controlled.
- Tires in good condition and at the right pressure improve both safety and fuel consumption. Be sure to check your tires regularly.
- Ensure your car is properly and regularly maintained. Poor engine lubrication, wheel alignment and poorly adjusted brakes can increase fuel consumption. Regular maintenance at the Selinsgrove Xpress Lube will keep your car in top mechanical condition. Don't skip that oil change!
- Winter Driving Tips
Harsh winter conditions can wreak havoc on your car if it isn't prepared. Learn what you can do to get it ready.
- Have cooling system checked for condition and level of protection.
- Have tires checked for proper inflation and adequate tread depth.
- Check condition and operation of wiper blades and fill the washer reservoir.
- Check the heater and defroster for proper operation.
- Have the battery, alternator, and starter checked for condition and operation.
- Make sure the exhaust system is tight and free of any leaks.
- Keep your fuel tank filled to prevent moisture build-up.
- Check the engine oil for proper level and to see if it is in need of a change.
- Check to see that your engine starts easily and runs smoothly.
- Make sure you carry your mobile phone if you have one so that you don't need to walk to the nearest phone box in the dark.
- Keep a scraper or de-icier close at hand for those icy mornings.
- Make sure you can see out of all windows before starting off.
- Make sure you have a blanket to keep warm and a pair of boots in the car in case you need to walk anywhere if you break down.
- Keep a flashlight in the car.
- Check your oil and water regularly. At the Selinsgrove Xpress Lube location, we'll do this for you as part of your regular maintenance.
- Carry a first-aid kit for emergencies.
- Plan your route.
- Check the weather reports to make sure you pack the correct clothing for your journey.